Welcome to the Marsden Banner Group website.

Marsden Lodge represented the men who worked at Whitburn Colliery (Also known as Marsden Colliery). 

The Whitburn Coal Company began sinking Marsden Colliery in 1874. Coal production started in 1882. In 1891 the Whitburn Coal Company hit financial difficulties and the colliery was absorbed into the Harton Coal Company. The colliery was abandoned in 1968  the final shift came up from the shaft bottom on 7th June.

Our aim is to preserve the mining and industrial heritage of our area.

The Lodge Banner is now on permanent display in
Whitburn Library.

Mill Lane

Tel 5293412

Opening times:

Mon: 9.30am – 12.30pm  1.30pm – 7pm

Tues: 9.30am – 12.30pm  1.30pm – 5pm

Wed: closed

Thurs: 9.30am – 12.30pm  1.30pm – 7pm

Fri: closed

Sat: closed

Click link for map and directions.



All copyrights acknowledged were known. 
B Cauwood 2013

Copyright © 2013 Marsden Banner Group. 
All rights reserved. Permission granted to reproduce for educational use only (please cite source). 


List title
Marsden Lodge Banner
Photograph by kind permission of Roy Lambeth Durham Mining Museum